How can I legally get help with a contractor that I hired and work was not completed?

Taylor, MI |

I hired a contractor to do some home improvements on my home with a contract and I had paid him money up front. The work was not completed and my home is a mess! I have pictures and reciets. Also he had taken some materiels that I purchased for my home.

You have a number of options. If you think that the contractor can do the work and you want to give him a chance to make good, that is one thing. If you are done with him, then I would get estimates for having the work completed. You can either pay to have that done and sue the contractor or sue the contractor and then pay to have the work done, once you collect. The being able to collect is possibly going to be the tricky part, because the contractor neither sounds reliable or trustworthy. It is likely that you are not the only people he has done this to.

You can always go to the state licensing board, the Better Business Bureau and the attorney general's office and lodge complaints. This will help prevent him from doing this to someone else.

If you file a claim and the damages are for less than $5k, you can file a small claims action and avoid the expense of an attorney. If the damages are for more than that, then you would need to go to district court.

You may also want to file a police report with regard to the materials, but the contractor is not going to be able to pay any damages, if he is in jail.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

You should bring the contract, pictures, and very importaantly, estimates to finish the project, to an attorney right away. If the amount in controversy warrant it, I suggest that you pursue the matter in court if the contractor does not respond favorably to a letter from your attorney.

We can be reached at 616-235-4000. Our web address is: Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services, or the dissemination of legal advice. All statements are my opinions only. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied from the post but you may call my office if you would like to discuss retaining my firm to represent you. Thank you

Recommended articles about Real estate