How can I legally force an ex-girlfriend to move out of my house if she won't do so on her on will?

Asked over 3 years ago - Sarasota, FL

After we ended our 3+ year relationship, I allowed my ex-girlfriend to remain in my house while I travel. I have now asked her to move out and gave her approx. 6 weeks to do that. At first, she agreed, but then she changed her mind and now she claims that because of my heavy travel schedule, she and a friend who also lives there have "squatter rights" and will remain in my house indefinitely. I am still abroad and would ike to handle their removal from my house as swiftly and painlessly as possible, prior to my return. There is no common property - she has her things and I have mine, so I don't expect any contest there. She is not a tenant, so I don't think I can evict her. What is the legal process I should follow in this case?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Carol Lynne Zimmerly


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Speak to an attorney about an eviction action and/or an unlawful detainer action. You can file and make her leave. Gather your documentation. Ask a friend or property manager to be your local agent. You will need someone local to deliver notices and meet with the deputy sheriff at the Writ of Possession enforcement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,018 answers this week

2,883 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,018 answers this week

2,883 attorneys answering