How can I legally change my childrens last name if I am getting remaried?

Asked over 5 years ago - Stanton, CA

My e husband has been giving me a hard time about my kids for the past almost 2 1/2 yr. I am getting remarried and my fiance wants to become their legal stepfather, how can we do that legally?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Please see my answer to your other identical question.

    Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Sondra Ellyn Bennaeim

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Once you are married your husband will automatically become your children's "legal stepfather." I think the question you may really be asking is how can your fiance legally adopt your children and become their legal "father." If that is what you are really asking this can be done through a stepparent adoption. Your ex-husband, the father of your children, will have to agree, unless there are extenuating circumstances. There are self-help books explaining how to do a stepparent adoption. Nolo has a very easy to follow book which does just that.

Related Topics

Legal custody

Legal custody of a child means that a parent has legal authority to make religious, medical, or other significant decisions that affect a child's upbringing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,157 answers this week

3,462 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,157 answers this week

3,462 attorneys answering