How can I kick my husband out of the house we live in?

Colorado Springs, CO |
Filed under: Divorce

My husband and I have been married for 5 years and live in my mothers house. She is the only name on the house. I want a divorce and for him to leave but he said that I have no legal rights that can make him leave. We do not have a lease through my mom or anything. We just pay her the rent and she sends it in.

Your mother will probably need to pursue an eviction proceeding if he is unwilling to leave.

Why don't YOU move if you don't like him. Don't expect special treatment just because you are a female.

I agree with Mr. McLane. A civil eviction process will be necessary, especially if he shows that he is paying rent. The issue is further complicated by the fact that you are married and are now seeking a divorce. I would contact an attorney to move forward on both fronts.

Nothing in the answer provided should be considered legal advice because all cases and facts are different and require a thorough examination of the facts by an attorney before any decisions are made.

Why don't YOU move if you don't like him. Don't expect special treatment just because you are a woman.

Because its my moms house and he has an apartment he just won't leave.

He also said if I left he would not pay the rent there.

Christopher Paul Kendrick

Christopher Paul Kendrick

Asker, it is best that you don't engage in comments with the anonymous poster. I have flagged that person's response for removal.

Your mother can tell him to leave as the owner of the house. You do not mention any type of domestic violence, threats, etc., that would give rise to you seeking a protection order. Thus, only your mother, as the owner of the house can decide who gets to live in the house.

He is not physically abusive. He hates my kids he won't speak to my son, we own a business together and he will hold my pay over my head. He takes the car keys so I can't leave and he locks me out of my bedroom at night so I sleep on the couch. His cat has ruined my carpet and furniture. He has an apartment set up he just won't leave

Your mom, as the owner of the home, (and in the absence of a lease) likely has the ability to require him to leave. However, if you have children, always speak to an attorney when kicking out the other spouse to determine if there would be any implications to child custody issues (aka whether the Court would look poorly upon you for any actions you take). In response to your question, though, your mother does have the ability to make anyone leave her home if there is no lease. If necessary, she can likely obtain the assistance of the local police department in having him removed.

David Littman

David Littman

This excellent response just highlights how important it is to seek legal advice at a time when a family is being structured through a divorce process.