How can I increase Social Security retirement benefit amount?

I want to make sure I get enough Social Security retirement checks when I retire. How can I increase Social Security retirement benefit amount? .

Billings, MT -

Mark Alan Mackin

Mark Alan Mackin

General Practice Lawyer - Helena, MT

This is too individualized a question to answer here. Contact a Social Security technician, take advantage of the SS system website, contact a local senior citizen center. If all else fails contact a lawyer specializing in SS matters.

Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

Social Security Lawyers - Richmond, VA

I have practiced Social Security Disability law for 35 years. The amount of your Social Security retirement check is determined by the amount you pay into the system over the years. So, the more you have paid in the higher your check will be. Also, the longer you wait to take Social Security retirement will generally increase your monthly check. It also helps if you were fully employed and do not have gaps in your employment history before you retire. Sometimes, housewives have lower retirement checks because they depart from the work force for long periods of time while they raise children. Also, independent contractors who do not report any income but only losses, suffer because they have not paid into the system. Social Security sends out a statement once a year giving you an estimate of your retirement benefits.

Brian S Wayson

Brian S Wayson

Social Security Lawyers - Portland, OR

In addition to the excellent information provided by my esteemed colleagues, here is a link, okay a couple of links, to some Social Security information that might answer some of your questions.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/estimator/

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/...

Related Advice