How can I hold an assisted Living facility in New York accountable for their inaction?

Asked over 4 years ago - Westbury, NY

A relative of mine was at assisted living facility for few months. Recently, he died there under deplorable circumstances. He was sitting in his wheelchair, eating dinner in dining room, with about 50 other residents. Someone called the paramedics because they said he was 'unresponsive'. I spoke to the paramedics. When they got there, they said that they asked for a copy of his file, and the nurses and staff just scattered like cockroaches. They also said they tried intubating him, but they had a hard time doing so because there was food in his windpipe and he must have choked to death long before they got there. No one tried to revive him before the medics got there. They just left him in his wheelchair to choke to death. He died with no dignity. What can I do?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Theodore W. Robinson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can consult with a personal injury attorney and explain the same circumstances and ask the same question.

    In my 35 years of experience in Nassau County, it doesn't appear that there is a case there based upon the minimal facts offered. While it is understandable that you're upset at such a state of affairs, its unlikely that much could have been done for an older person who was eating and food got stuck in their throat unless someone noticed the problem. Its a very difficult case to prove from the little you've provided so far.

    Good luck with it.

  2. Robert L. Brenna Jr.

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . luckily different people can come to different conclusions. I personally feel that you may have a very viable cause of action. I'm personally having a case in similar right now, and we're making progress. I am only answering this relative to New York law, but some statutes have been updated lately, one in particular within the last six months. They're very helpful for plaintiffs, and this will hopefully prevent similar tragedies in the future. I wish you the very best of luck. If you have trouble finding someone you can contact me. I work with attorneys throughout New York State, and I also have a network of attorneys and other states, but since you are in New York it should not be much of a problem. There various guidelines which are relevant, which seem to be breached. There also needs to be specific testing and accommodation for the swallowing of various types of food, and it sounds from what you've said that this may not have been properly done. I would suggest you allow the state agency to investigate immediately, and contactan attorney that has familiarity with this type of work. That will allow you to contemplate immediately having the matter investigated on your behalf privately, as well. There is a duty to confidently and properly immediately intervene when an emergency such as this happens, and from what you said it sounds like the situation was absolutely horrific. Best wishes,

    Robert L. Brenna Jr
    Brenna Brenna and Boyce PLLC
    Rochester New York

  3. Randall Richard Walton

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Before you give up on the case, I would consult an attorney with experience suing nursing homes for neglect. While preventing a choking death may not have preventable, I would obtain a copy of his records and make sure there were no special orders regarding his diet. Was he considered a choking risk do to his age and condition, and were those risks ignored or neglect? Obviously more facts are needed to answer those questions, but you would be well served to initially take a look at his records, and his plan of care. Good luck.

  4. Patricia Lee Mcclintock Gifford

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You should contact the agency in your area that oversees assisted living facilites. You may also want to contact an attorney with experience in nursing home litigation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,328 answers this week

3,193 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,328 answers this week

3,193 attorneys answering