Skip to main content

How can I help my wife adjust her status ?

Savannah, GA |

I am an active duty in the military, who have been married to my wife for sometime now. She came to America illegal and now out of status. How can I help her adjust her status?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


There may be options available to her as a wife of you - an active member of the armed services. But this is an exceptionally complicated area of immigration practice.

There are a number of free resources available to service members, which are listed on my website here: See if you can get help that way, or else you should talk to an immigration attorney.


I agree with my colleague.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues.

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.


Adjustment of status in US requires, amongst other things, a legal entry or an exception. Otherwise, you would have to apply for consular processing. Unfortunately, under the current rules, that would mean that your wife would have to leave the country and be subject to an unlawful presence bar for which she would need a waiver to show extreme hardship to you, her us citizen husband. We've been very successful with waivers for spouses of members in the military so feel free to contact me if you'd like some help.

And thank you for your service to out country.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave


You need to get this resolved if you are in need of getting or keeping a security clearance.


If you haven't already, you need to visit your local legal assistance office on base. As an active duty service member you are entitled to the assistance of a qualified active duty attorney who practices in immigration law -- free of charge.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer