How can I help my sister be aware of foreclosure scams?

Phoenix, AZ |
Filed under: Property foreclosure

My sister's house is going to be foreclosed on, and she already seems to be interested in what I feel like are scams. What can I tell her to be on the lookout for, both to be aware of and what she actually should be looking for?

.

1. I don't have a specific answer for you, but, this link is to the Federal Trade Commission regarding this specific issue. I hope it helps. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre42.shtm

Accessing this website or receiving an electronic transmission from Nagle Law Group, P.C., or any specific attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C., does not create an attorney-client relationship or any other duty on the part of Nagle Law Group, P.C. An attorney-client relationship is only created upon an express agreement with an attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C.

2. She should either deal with it herself or hire an attorney from AZ to assist her. If she pays money to an out of state foreclosure company or modification company she will most likely lose money and not get anything to show for it. Make sure that she uses an attorney who is familiar with this type of law and she will be ok. Good luck.

The author of this posting is licensed to practice law in the State of Connecticut. This posting is intended as general information only, and is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. There are many scams out there, some of which even seem legitimate upon first glance. Your sister should seek out an attorney's advice. She may even be able to get some initial advice without any cost to her. An attorney can help her map out a strategy and figure out how to best proceed. Before she tries anything, she should first do a simple internet search regarding the "strategy" (potential scam) advised to her as well as find out more about the person who provided her with such advice. She should also consult with an attorney to find out if said advice is legitimate/acceptable.

4. Greedy people will always fall for these scams no matter what logic is offered to the contrary. There is not much one can do about human nature.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.