How can I help my friend who is a domestic violence victim?

My friend is a victim of domestic violence. A couple of months ago the person that has been abusing her jumped on her and was trying to hurt her. My friend tried to defend herself. When the cops arrived my friend would not talk to them because she was afraid and the person that was trying to hurt her showed the police scratches on his face that my friend put there when she was trying to push him off and said that she was attacking him. My friend was arrested on domestic battery. The police contacted child protective services and a order of protection was issued for her to stay away from him. He used this against her. She wanted to stay away but he made sure she received the message that if she didn't talk he would make sure she goes to jail.

Gainesville, FL -

Attorney Answers (4)

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Family Law Attorney - Winter Park, FL

There are ways that she can come up with a safety plan, document the case against him, and get help. But she has to be ready to do it, have support, and plan. Contact the following people at the link below for educational and practical assistance on how to help victims of domestic violence.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
David Alexander Browde

David Alexander Browde

Family Law Attorney - Chappaqua, NY

She should contact and retain a local criminal attorney experienced in domestic violence cases and, further, stay FAR away from the abuser.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer... more

DVI's can be complicated and stressful.
But you are best off by having your friend do her best to get one in place.
Heather (as usual) has given great advice.
I wish you both the best and I hope life gets better real soon.

Henry Lebensbaum

Henry Lebensbaum

Family Law Attorney - Andover, MA

Get a lawyer.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more

Related Topics

Domestic violence

Domestic violence is physically, sexually, emotionally, economically, or mentally abusive behavior used to control an intimate romantic partner.

Featured Legal Guides

Restraining order and criminal defense

A restraining order is a court order that requires you to do, or refrain from doing, certain actions. It is often used in stalking or domestic violence cases.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.