How can I have a collector remove an erroneous negative on my credit report?

Asked 10 months ago - Englewood, FL

I just found out that someone used my SS# to get electric (FPL) at an address I never had in 2009.
Since 2005 I have resided at one address, and everything is in my husband's name.
The collector insists that I do these things to have it removed:
PROVE that I was living at my correct address in 2009 with a bill, or with mail (I can't provide either: who keeps mail for over 4 years? LOL)
Go to the police and report it as fraud- police won't take the report, say it has been too long.
I am trying to revive my credit-I haven't used it in around 15 years,.
Please advise.

1. Jason Eric Neufeld

2

Answered . Dispute with the three major credit bureaus: equifax, transunion, and experian.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

3

Answered . When you obtain a copy of your credit report from each of the major credit bureaus, there will be information about the process to dispute any information on the report that isn't accurate. Follow the instructions to the letter - this is not the place to try to make the process bend to what is convenient for you. You can file a dispute online or in the mail,but any dispute must be in writing. Hope this perspective helps!

3. Maxim Christopher Zawojski

2

Answered . Dispute the report with the credit bureaus. If they don't fix it find a local consumer protection attorney and sue the collector for violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

4. Gary D. Bollinger

Pro

2

Answered . You wrote, “PROVE that I was living at my correct address in 2009 with a bill, or with mail (I can't provide either: who keeps mail for over 4 years?“
    A: Then my be a lot easier than you think: asked one of the utility companies to provide you with a list of payments going back to 2009; with computerization this might be a fairly easy task. also, if you own the house real estate tax bills, and of course there is the (Social-Security-#-redacted copy of your income tax return, or employer-provided record showing the address of payment on your W-2's in 2009.

5. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . Just get your husband to sign an affidavit. That should be sufficient.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239