How can I handle this drug case, and still go into the service?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was mailing weed(2oz)to Florida so I could smoke it once I arrived there. After i left the post office I was pulled over, they asked me what it was. And there dog had identified that it had drugs, I told them it was weed, they took my info, and let me go with a ticket or citation. Since then (6 months) I moved to Texas and when I was pull over by the police they told me I had a warrant for my arrest for Dangerous Drugs with intent to sale and it wasn't expeditable. I've never been in trouble with the law or arrested. I plan to go to the Air Force soon to better myself, and I feel this warrant will definitly get in the way. I am no longer a user of marjuana. I just need some understand and ways I could handle this case, and what to do from this point on. Also I had my med card at the time

1. Maria Cavalluzzi

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . The warrant has to be cleared in California. The best way would be to retain a California attorney to get the warrant cleared. There may be no extradition at this point, but the warrant could hinder future travel and your plans to join the Air Force. I recommend calling a California attorney fora free consultation.

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

2

Answered . You need to clear this up before you do anything. It's unclear which jurisdiction the warrant comes from, but you need to get an attorney fast. It makes no difference that you have a med mj card--you were shipping drugs, that's a crime in every state and in the federal system. Put the Air Force on the back burner until you deal with this criminal case.

3. Seth Andrew Weinstein

2

Answered . 2 ounces of marijuana with a valid medical marijuana recommendation is a defensible case. The issue you have is that you have an active arrest warrant. California will not "extradite" you on the warrant, however it is bar to you joining the USAF. Los Angeles County is tough on these offenses and you need to hire someone familiar with the court system. Give me a call if you are interested in a consultation.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

4. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

1

Answered . Also in agreement. Get a drug test to show no drugs in your system and every month until this is resolved, the test results may help your attorney negotiate this case.

5. Theodor Kaplun

2

1

Answered . The med car does not allow you to ship marijuana especially across state lines, as my colleagues have stated, get a CA criminal defense attorney to resolve your warrant before doing anything else.