Skip to main content

How can I go back to my home country if I applied the political asylum from my home country already?

Fremont, CA |

Right now, I am green card holder. I just want to know how to get back to my home country if I applied the asylum from there? After I become a us citizen, can I go back and return to US without any legal problems? thank you so much!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Citizenship can be revoked if it is discovered that it was obtained by fraud or misrepresentation however it is very unlikely you will have a problem once you are a USC. i do not suggest you return to the country from which you were granted asylum while you are a greencard holder.

  2. The problem with going back to your home country after getting your green card through asylum is it suggests to the US government that you do not fear persecution, the very reason why you were given a green card in the first place. It is true that conditions in a country can change such that you legitimately no longer fear persecution, but going back definitely still could raise eyebrows, especially at a naturalization interview.

  3. I agree with my colleagues. I do not recommend home country travel if the conditions you stated you feared persecution on your asylum application still exist.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics