How can I go about reducing the amount of fines I owe for traffic citations?

Asked over 1 year ago - El Centro, CA

I have a lot of old traffic citations that I am trying to get cleared up, but there are so many and amount to so much its been impossible to get them all paid to get my drivers license reinstated. Is there any way that I can get the debt reduced so that I can get my license back sooner? I owed about $7,000 but paid nearly $1700 so far. What can I do to get my license back?

1. Jason Robert Miller

3

Answered . You can try going to the court where each ticket was issued and speak with a clerk to see if any of your tickets are eligible for a court date. If any are eligible then schedule a court date and speak with the judge. You may be able to still contest some tickets or get tickets reduced or request community service. There are other options too - best consult with a traffic ticket attorney.

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

2

Answered . You should hire an attorney to help you. But you may be able to do to get the out of warrant status and get on payment plans, get an abstract to clear the holds and then just make payments. If you have too many, you may have to deal with the DMV in a negligent operator hearing, but get an attorney to help.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . Only a judge can reduce them. If you are in Los Angeles do jail time, it will not be long due to overcrowding and the nonseriousness of traffic fines, maybe a few days