How can I go about contesting the designated beneficiary of my father's life insurance?

Asked 3 months ago - Milwaukee, WI

I'm my father's only child, the next of kin, and I have recorded messages from my father where he states that he was naming me and my children his beneficiary, now he's died suddenly and his "girlfriend" is named as the beneficiary of his life insurance. He lives in Indiana and I live in Wisconsin and I'm unable to do anything with the life insurance as I'm not the beneficiary of the policy.

This concerns me because my father was an alcoholic, and at times didn't function with all of his capacity and in the past she has done things that have been questionable.

1. Nick Passe

7

Answered . You would probably need to prove that she somehow "forced" him to do it or unduly influenced him. You are looking at a tough fight and will realistically need an attorney skilled in such fights. Your dad could have changed his mind at any point and for any reason, or he might have been misleading you or not wanting to disappoint you. You'd probably need to have a medical professional or two agree that at the time your father changed the beneficiary he was mentally incapable of doing so. This is a hard thing to prove most of the time.

ALWAYS mark answers you appreciate with positive feedback and select a best answer!

more

Attorney Nicholas J. Passe

Disclaimer: Per the avvo.com community guidelines, no attorney/client relationship is created by the asking or answering of questions on this web site, nor do the answers constitute legal advice. Always hire an attorney before making any important legal decisions. Posting details of a case on avvo.com may be subject to discovery in criminal or civil litigation, so erring on the side of nondisclosure is wise.

Moen Sheehan Meyer, Ltd. less

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

5

Answered . This isn't an estate matter really - it is a contractual matter of disagreement at this point with the insurance company. The insurance company is going to presume the beneficiary designation is legitimate and follow the binding contract. You will have a difficult time proving he did not appreciate the change - you certainly will need a good contract litigation lawyer to even have a chance.

3. Edward Fossum Hooper

3

Answered . This is a very difficult battle to both fignt and win. No way is the insurance company going to do anything without a court order, and that is going to be tough to get. You will get nowhere without an attorney. I doubt you can prevail.

Pro

4

Answered . On what basis?? Undue influence and duress would likely be losers