How can i go about breaking my lease? and what penalties could there be?

Asked over 1 year ago - Killeen, TX

my husband and i have been renting this house for about 6-7 months now and i feel like the landlord is screwing us out of money because this house is litterally falling apart there are holes in the wall of my laundry room and the tile flooring is falling off and if anything breaks in the house i have to pay for it out of pocket witch i didnt know at the time of signing the lease not to mention they are trying to charge me for new carpets when i know for sure that these carpets havent been changed in atleast 10 years because their is holes in the carpet from before i moved in.

1. George Costas Andriotis

2

Answered . If the conditions are unloveable and/or the landlord refuses to make reasonable and necessary repairs than you can argue this is a constructive eviction.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  2. Kevin Matthew Koel

Pro

Answered . There is a procedure for terminating your lease early do to the landlord not repairing the premises. An outline of the statutory process is here: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/statutory-...
    However, your lease may have other rights or obligations regarding this situation, and they need to be followed as well.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now