How can i go about breaking my lease? and what penalties could there be?

Asked over 1 year ago - Killeen, TX

my husband and i have been renting this house for about 6-7 months now and i feel like the landlord is screwing us out of money because this house is litterally falling apart there are holes in the wall of my laundry room and the tile flooring is falling off and if anything breaks in the house i have to pay for it out of pocket witch i didnt know at the time of signing the lease not to mention they are trying to charge me for new carpets when i know for sure that these carpets havent been changed in atleast 10 years because their is holes in the carpet from before i moved in.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. George Costas Andriotis

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the conditions are unloveable and/or the landlord refuses to make reasonable and necessary repairs than you can argue this is a constructive eviction.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at
  2. Kevin Matthew Koel

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . There is a procedure for terminating your lease early do to the landlord not repairing the premises. An outline of the statutory process is here:
    However, your lease may have other rights or obligations regarding this situation, and they need to be followed as well.

    If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,628 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,628 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering