Skip to main content

How can I get video tape from the traffic cameras? Is it easy to get it?

Atlanta, GA |

I had a car accident two weeks ago, and someone hit me from the back when both of us were making the right turns (I was in front of her, we were in two seperate lanes), and the rear door on the passenger side of my car was dented. I didnt call the police at that time and the other driver stopped me to call the police because it was small accident. And we exchanged the bussiness card and insurance info. I thought it was obviously her fault and she should pay to repair. But after that, she told the insurance company that "I jumped into her lane" so it was my fault. But she was lying. So the insurance company said they won't repair my car. Shall I call the police to file a report now? is that late? if possible, how can i get the video tapes from the street camera?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. This may require a subpoena. Consult an attorney in GA.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.

  2. I concur with Mr. Sweat. You should consult an attorney immediately to protect your legal rights. First, it might be too late to file a police report -- that would be an issue of Georgia law. Second, if there is a traffic camera at the intersection and if it saw anything you will need to move very quickly to make sure that any images are retained. Even with digital video or still pictures, storage space is not infinite and policies for retaining those images vary widely by jurisdiction.

    Many attorneys offer free or low-cost initial consultations. It is possible that such an initial consultation would give you sufficient information to proceed or even lead to an agreement to retain an attorney to assist you with the matter.

    Good luck!

  3. Consult with an attorney. This may require a subpoena, but it could be as easy as public records request (basically, a letter requesting government documents).

  4. You can and should file a police incident report but that has no more credence than what the other driver has to say. You should have already reported it to your ins. co. If you had collision coverage they will fix your car (you pay deductible) and they will go after her and their atty. will decide whether to subpoena the video or not.

    Disclaimer: This response is provided to you by attorney Robert G. Rothstein (404) 216-1422 for educational and informational purposes only.No attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate Best Answer to Avvo. Thank you.

  5. A local lawyer can subpoena it

  6. You've learned the hard way to ALWAYS call the police for every accident, get witnesses at the scene, take lots of pictures, and call a lawyer immediately.

    It's not always possible to have good traffic video of an accident in progress, but when it exists, it can make a difference. It would be hard to get it without a lawyer or the insurer seeking it.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

  7. Unless you have a witness who can back your version of how the collision occurred, you have a proof problem. In Georgia, your word is no better than the other driver's or vice versa. Assuming there was a traffic camera that recorded the collision, you should send an 'open records' request in writing to the appropriate authority and try to get a copy of the video. It is a long shot but it is worth the effort. Unless you have a witness, you will need the video. Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums not paying claims and unless you can prove the other driver was at fault, they usually will not pay.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics