Skip to main content

How can I get upstairs neighbors to stop pounding on the floor in the middle of the night?

Mountain View, CA |

My upstairs neighbors wake me several nights a week by pounding on the floor. They claim they can hear me snoring. I do snore occasionally, but I've had two surgeries over the past year and my girlfriend now says she almost never hears me snore. I've asked my neighbors to stop and have even purchased for them, with my own money, a sound machine and ear plugs to help them sleep. They've refused to change their behavior. I've also complained to the landlord about the situation several times, but he refuses to do anything. Do I have any recourse here? I have no idea what else I can do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I'm inferring that you have a sleep apnea problem which has only partially abated through surgery. I'm sure the neighbors are not pounding on the floor for their own amusement or to inflict misery on you. The problem, apparently, is that you snore very loudly. There's no simple solution. Obviously you're trying the surgical route. But the fact remains that you snore so loudly that it's keeping your upstairs neighbors awake. I would suggest moving to a home where your bedroom shares no walls with neighbors.

I know that's not a comforting suggestion. But you are in a difficult position. It's unreasonable to ask neighbors to put up with extremely loud snoring from a neighbor's apartment. You are not the only person who has had this problem. A woman was cited into court in Davis for just this reason. See link below:


P.S. You shouldn't take what I wrote above as legal advice, as I don't practice law in California. It's just my perspective on the facts you present, in light of general principles of law. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer who holds California licensure.

Good luck.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer