Skip to main content

How can i get the temporary custody of my niece?

Edison, NJ |

right now my niece is 13 year old and she staying at my house temporary due to school and we visit her mom at a different city, all her life she been suffering due to her mom and dad, 3 years ago her dad left and now she been suffering even more due to her mom to be unfit. my niece tells me that her mom goes out at night and get drunk and use drugs, and her mom bring random man to the apartment. and Im afraid something can happen to her. she tells me her mom dont take care of her little brother and little sister. she always look after and her mom always goes out to get drunk and do drugs.

need advice what to do. right now DYFYS is on her and DYFYS knows about everything. Her mom has a bad record.

Right now my niece just wants to go visit her mom Saturday night and come back Sunday. On the meantime we always pick up her little brother and sister or sometimes her sister on Friday and bring them back Saturday night or Sunday afternoon.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Before I answer the question, here's a link to an article that may be very helpful to you: 4 Key Facts any Parent Should Know about Custody Cases in New Jersey:

You must file a motion with the Family Court in your County seeking third-party custody. A person may apply for custody of a child in New Jersey. You will need to demonstrate that living with you is in the child's best interest.

You should consider meeting with an attorney well-versed in these areas.

Additionally, below are links to articles and information that may assist you with your issue.

Good luck.
Brad M. Micklin, Esq.
The Micklin Law Group
187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F
Nutley, NJ 07110

Please mark as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if our advice helped you. This information is based upon the limited facts you presented. My advice is based on New Jersey law and may be different if I find that the facts presented are different. Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship.


If DCPP (formerly DYFS) is involved, you should find out if they plan to start a court case or if they are having a family team meeting. If they do, the best way for you to gain custody may be to cooperate with them. If DCPP believes you are the best relative resource parent, then DCPP will likely give you physical custody. If DCPP is not starting a court case, you can commence a custody case against your niece's mom and dad, but that's complicated. Perhaps you can obtain the mother's consent to your having physical custody, then you can memorialize that with a court order. A family lawyer can help.

The information posted by the Law Office of Jordan A. Stern on Avvo is not legal advice. Consult an attorney for advice regarding your situation. We invite you to contact us via phone, mail, fax and email. Contacting us or sending us information does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until we establish an attorney-client relationship. If you send us information before we establish an attorney-client relationship, that information is not confidential. The Law Office of Jordan A. Stern limits its practice to the State of New Jersey. Office hours by appointment. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Our services related to credit defaults, mortgage foreclosures, eviction proceedings, excessive debt, debt collection pressure, or inability to pay any consumer debt may involve bankruptcy relief under Title 11 of the United States Code. Thanks. © 2011 Law Office of Jordan A. Stern LLC · All Rights Reserved.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer