How can I get the Support and Collection to enforce suport when my ex is self employed?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Vestal, NY

My ex is self-employed, and is currently 6 months in arrears on support. I have filed numerous violations but they just tack his arrears amount onto the new amount and they still don't get collected. Support and Collection basically tell me I can't get blood out of a stone and all of his property has liens on it. Do you have any suggestions?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Wilson Soto

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . It appears that your spouse has made himself judgment proof, which hampers the ability to collect child support through means such as wage garnsihment, property levy or tax intercepts, just to name a few. If your spouse is 6 months in arrears for an existing support obligation, then you need to commence a 'violation petition' with the family court (see their official forms on their website). If he is found to have "wilfully" violated the child support order, he can be incarcerated for a period of up to 6 months. This is usually enough presuure to make someone pay up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,379 answers this week

3,106 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,379 answers this week

3,106 attorneys answering