How can i get the other parent to agree with a custody change?

Rocky Mount, VA |

I'm going to be moving here soon and wanted to make amendments to the custody / visitation order i have with the other parent , they aren't very good at accepting changes very well , but this move is not only for me but for my child as well seeing as she will have a better life to grow up there and i will be able to support her with the new job I've gotten . so with that said , how can i get the other parent to agree with the times they get with our child if i make it to where they get a little more time with the child ?

If I had the secret answer to that question, I think I would be able to retire. My suggestion would to have a sit down with the other parent and explain to the other parent the benefits of the move for your child. I would also explain what you are proposing as far as the change in parenting time and emphasize that eventhough it may not be as often, in the long run it will be more time and more importantly, more quality time. If that doesn't work, you will need to consult a lawyer and pursue your legal remedies for the move.

The answers provided are for informational purposes only and shall not be considered legal advice on your specific fact situation. If you would like information specific to your particular fact situation, please feel free to contact me directly.

A court is not bound by an agreement between the parties concerning custody or visitation, although judges usually affirm the agreements parents reach. You cannot force the other parent to accept a change. Unless and until the existing court order is modified, you will have no change in your legal rights. You should consult with an attorney in your area regarding how to modify the existing custody order. The video linked below explains how child custody may be changed.

The foregoing is intended to be general legal information. You should consult with a Virginia attorney to discuss all your options in light of your particular circumstances.

Child custody topics