How can I get the lien on my house released?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dearborn, MI

When I applied for refinancing of my house mortgage I found out that there was lien for $12,000 on my house. I would like to know how can i get this released.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Davidoff. There are not enough details to provide you with a useful answer. If the lien is for work that was done on the house and paid for, then you need to have the contractor discharge the lien. They cannot legally refuse, if they have been paid.

    If the lien is for a home equity line of credit that you did not use, you can have it cancelled. If the lien is for a line of credit that you DID use, then it needs to be paid off. The same is true of a mortgage.

    If the lien is for back taxes or association fees or special assessments or ???, you need to either pay them off, or get a release from the party that you paid off.

    This is usually not very difficult or time-consuming. But you will probably need to take the first step. Feel free to post additional details and we will try to be more specific.

    James Frederick

    I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice... more
  2. Kenneth Allyn Sprang

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The first question is in whose favor is the lien--a bank, the state, the county, a judgment creditor or someone else. Second, has the debt been paid but someone neglected to file a satisfaction, or is the debt unpaid. If the lien predates your acquisition of the home you may wish to speak to your title company.

    Assuming the best case scenario that the debt has been paid, you need to contact the holder of the lien and ask them to record a satisfaction.

  3. E. Martin Davidoff


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to tell us who has filed the lien against you and whether or not it has some validity.

    Marty Davidoff,, 732-274-1600. This answer is provided for general information only. You... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,179 answers this week

3,126 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,179 answers this week

3,126 attorneys answering