How can I get the lien on my house released?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dearborn, MI

When I applied for refinancing of my house mortgage I found out that there was lien for $12,000 on my house. I would like to know how can i get this released.

1. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney Davidoff. There are not enough details to provide you with a useful answer. If the lien is for work that was done on the house and paid for, then you need to have the contractor discharge the lien. They cannot legally refuse, if they have been paid.

If the lien is for a home equity line of credit that you did not use, you can have it cancelled. If the lien is for a line of credit that you DID use, then it needs to be paid off. The same is true of a mortgage.

If the lien is for back taxes or association fees or special assessments or ???, you need to either pay them off, or get a release from the party that you paid off.

This is usually not very difficult or time-consuming. But you will probably need to take the first step. Feel free to post additional details and we will try to be more specific.

James Frederick

2. Kenneth Allyn Sprang

3

Answered . The first question is in whose favor is the lien--a bank, the state, the county, a judgment creditor or someone else. Second, has the debt been paid but someone neglected to file a satisfaction, or is the debt unpaid. If the lien predates your acquisition of the home you may wish to speak to your title company.

Assuming the best case scenario that the debt has been paid, you need to contact the holder of the lien and ask them to record a satisfaction.

3. E. Martin Davidoff

Pro

1

Answered . You need to tell us who has filed the lien against you and whether or not it has some validity.