How can I get the hospital to take legal guardianship of my 87 year old mother?

Asked 8 months ago - Lehigh Acres, FL

She's illegal in the country and the hospital has been paying for her care going on one year now. They want to send her back to her country but I dont have the money to pay for her care. I'm flat broke and trying to survive.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas J Upchurch

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Section 744.309(6), Florida Statutes (2013) states that “HEALTH CARE PROVIDER.—A provider of health care services to the ward, whether direct or indirect, may not be appointed the guardian of the ward, unless the court specifically finds that there is no conflict of interest with the ward’s best interests.”

    This response only reflects my personal views in my individual capacity. It does not necessarily represent the... more
  2. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You cannot get the hospital to take legal guardianship of your mother. You need to see a local guardianship attorney if you have questions about guardianship.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  3. Ivette M Santaella

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Hello,

    I am so sorry to hear about your difficulties.

    Please contact:
    Legal Aid
    190 Lee Blvd
    Lehigh Acres, Florida
    (239) 368-1489

    They provide complimentary legal services. I hope they can help your Mom and you.

    Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,474 answers this week

2,624 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,474 answers this week

2,624 attorneys answering