Skip to main content

How can I get the DA to drop domestic assault charges against my Husband?

Rockland, ME |
Filed under: Domestic violence

My husband and I 4 months ago got into an arguement where I threw coffee on him, and then it led to fighting over who was going to hold our 4 month old son and I ended up falling over the crib and he fractured his arm as a result. No charges or anything were made of that incident. Then last week my husband and I got into another arguement, and he told me he should "smash me in the face" I told him "go ahead do it, I dare you" then he did it and I called the police. They arrested him and based their claim on the fact that he was abusive before. I'm not interested in pressing charges, is there anything I can do? His bail has a mandatory no contact order in place so I can't speak with him.

Attorney Answers 1


It is not your decision on pressing charges. It is the D.A.'s. You should speak to your husband's attorney about how best to proceed. However, it sounds like you both should be taking anger management courses.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics