How can I get the child support from ex if he is voluntarily unemployed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hagerstown, MD

We have a court order stating he is to pay support, which is already a deviation than the court guidelines. He has a history of unemployment, and most recently unemployed for over 5 months now. He has only paid for 1 month since his unemployment and has not requested a modification. He has stated he won't get a job because he doesn't want to "pay me." And would only take a job if it were perfect for him. I have already filed with Maryland's child support agency, but should I also get an attorney to file for contempt?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Raymond Mahood


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . A father who is determined not to pay child support, who is willing to mess up his own life and not work because he refuses to pay child support is called a "deadbeat dad." You are probably throwing good money after bad money if you hire an attorney to pursue a person who refuses to do what most dads do: pay child support. If the Maryland child support enforcement agency does not want to file contempt against him, sure, you can do it. But is it worth your money to do so? If you believe it is worth the expense, then by all means, hire an attorney and go after him. Just don't expect any miracles. Perhaps the judge will put him in jail temporarily. Sometimes jail wakes up a deadbeat dad, and forces him to do what he should do: pay child support.

    This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,219 answers this week

3,237 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,219 answers this week

3,237 attorneys answering