How can I get the child support from ex if he is voluntarily unemployed?

Hagerstown, MD |

We have a court order stating he is to pay support, which is already a deviation than the court guidelines. He has a history of unemployment, and most recently unemployed for over 5 months now. He has only paid for 1 month since his unemployment and has not requested a modification. He has stated he won't get a job because he doesn't want to "pay me." And would only take a job if it were perfect for him. I have already filed with Maryland's child support agency, but should I also get an attorney to file for contempt?

A father who is determined not to pay child support, who is willing to mess up his own life and not work because he refuses to pay child support is called a "deadbeat dad." You are probably throwing good money after bad money if you hire an attorney to pursue a person who refuses to do what most dads do: pay child support. If the Maryland child support enforcement agency does not want to file contempt against him, sure, you can do it. But is it worth your money to do so? If you believe it is worth the expense, then by all means, hire an attorney and go after him. Just don't expect any miracles. Perhaps the judge will put him in jail temporarily. Sometimes jail wakes up a deadbeat dad, and forces him to do what he should do: pay child support.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you because you have not yet retained me, and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is provided as GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. If you want me to provide legal advice, then you must call for a Consultation. If you would like me to represent you, then a Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

Recommended articles about Employment