How can i get social security number, so i can get a job.

Asked over 1 year ago - Tacoma, WA

I'm married to an american citizen.after applying for green card (I-130) the case status is post decision activity.I received I-797 (notice of action).

1. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

8

1

Answered . It isn't clear from your question if you only filed the I-130 petition, or if you are eligible for/applied for adjustment of status as well (I-485). If you were eligible for adjustment, and you applied for it, you should have simultaneously filed an I-765 for employment authorization, because in that situation you are allowed employment authorization until there is a final decision on the case. If you don't qualify to adjust in the U.S., then you don't qualify for employment authorization. The Social Security Admin. wants to see the employment authorization to give you a social security number. You might be seeing now that the cases are quite involved. I think you would benefit from having a qualified immigration lawyer assist you.

2. Dave Hawkins

Pro

6

Answered . Once you get your EAD, you apply for a social security card.

3. Danny Garmo

7

Answered . You should wait for the EAD Card (I-765). Once approved go and get a social security number from the SSA.

4. J Charles Ferrari

7

Answered . By first filing for adjustment of status and employment authorization, and then having the employment authorization in hand. These could all have been filed with the I-130.

You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case, before you make a more serious mistake. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.