How can I get rid of the tenant so that I can do the short sale ?

San Francisco, CA |

I have a investment property that I intend to short sell. I have a tenant in that property who has been living there for about 3 months now. What should I do with the tenant so that I can do the short sale ? I don't want to give any of his money back. At the same time, I don't want him to damage the property.

Is there a lease?

If not, and the tenant is a month to month, then give 30 days notice of cancellation.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

If your rental property is located in the City and County of San Francisco, you need to consult with a landlord-tenant attorney who is familiar with the San Franciscio Rent Stabilization Ordinance.

Under section 37.9(a) of the San Francisco Rent Ordinance, landlords must have "just cause" to evict tenants from units that are under its jurisdiction. Those 15 or so reasons are the only reasons landlords can evict tenants from rent-controlled apartments in San Francisco.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Landlord-tenant topics