How can I get rid of the tenant so that I can do the short sale ?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I have a investment property that I intend to short sell. I have a tenant in that property who has been living there for about 3 months now. What should I do with the tenant so that I can do the short sale ? I don't want to give any of his money back. At the same time, I don't want him to damage the property.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If your rental property is located in the City and County of San Francisco, you need to consult with a landlord-tenant attorney who is familiar with the San Franciscio Rent Stabilization Ordinance.

    Under section 37.9(a) of the San Francisco Rent Ordinance, landlords must have "just cause" to evict tenants from units that are under its jurisdiction. Those 15 or so reasons are the only reasons landlords can evict tenants from rent-controlled apartments in San Francisco.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  2. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Is there a lease?

    If not, and the tenant is a month to month, then give 30 days notice of cancellation.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,973 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,973 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering