How can I get rid of the tenant so that I can do the short sale ?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I have a investment property that I intend to short sell. I have a tenant in that property who has been living there for about 3 months now. What should I do with the tenant so that I can do the short sale ? I don't want to give any of his money back. At the same time, I don't want him to damage the property.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . If your rental property is located in the City and County of San Francisco, you need to consult with a landlord-tenant attorney who is familiar with the San Franciscio Rent Stabilization Ordinance.

Under section 37.9(a) of the San Francisco Rent Ordinance, landlords must have "just cause" to evict tenants from units that are under its jurisdiction. Those 15 or so reasons are the only reasons landlords can evict tenants from rent-controlled apartments in San Francisco.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . Is there a lease?

If not, and the tenant is a month to month, then give 30 days notice of cancellation.