Skip to main content

How can i get POA for my mother's estate - she was found unconscious in her home and remains so in a hospital.

North Hollywood, CA |

i am the only surviving immediate family member as well as sole beneficiary to her estate. she resides in Phoenix, AZ and i reside in Los Angeles, CA.

Attorney Answers 3


From your description she is still alive and a resident of AZ? You need to contact an attorney in Arizona to begin guardianship proceedings so you can handle her affairs. (Unless she has a power of attorney naming an agent in the event of her incapacity, which I assume she doesn't have or you would not be asking).

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Your mother can sign a power of attorney atv the hospital if she is competent.
If not-you will need to start a guardianship proceeding.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You need a little patience in this situation. Hopefully, your mother will regain consciousness and then, assuming she is competent, you can get her to complete durable or general powers if necessary. Until then your only option is to institute guardian or conservatorship proceeding in AZ. That being said -- you do not need permission to make rental, mortgage, or insurance payments on her behalf and you should do so if you are financially able until appointment.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics