Skip to main content

How can I get part of an ex parte TRO in an Ohio divorce lifted?

Marysville, OH |

My spouse and I have been living apart for over a year. The reason for our separation was not divorce and my personal papers clothes and belongings etc remained at the house, I did not even change my address. Now my spouse has filed for divorce and obtained a TRO which among other things prevents me from returning to the marital residence. I would like to get that part of the TRO lifted. Can I do this and should the request be made in the answer, counterclaim or in a separate motion to the court?

There is no domestic violence, threats etc involved.

Attorney Answers 3


I don't know about your particular county but any order can be changed by motion and hearing if there is good reason to do so. The circumstances change things obviously but my best advice would be to have your divorce attorney, whoever you choose, deal with this for you. Implicit in that answer, of course, is that you should not try to handle this yourself. Get counsel on board right away.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. If so, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer." The information provided here is general in nature and is not to be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended nor created. As an Ohio attorney not licensed in any other jurisdiction, any information provided here is solely based on Ohio law and general legal principles. The information provided here should not be put into practice without specifically consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with Attorney Reynolds. You should involve counsel sooner, rather than later. Without seeing the wording of the TRO, it is impossible to comment on the full scope of the provisions. I believe it is possible that the provision preventing you from returning to the marital residence is a prohibition on you returning as an occupant, and not as a visitor (with permission from your spouse) to retrieve personal property that is undisputed as your own. However, I urge you to consult an experienced attorney to advise you before taking any action.

The above information is shared for educational and discussion purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is intended or established through your reliance on the information provided. If your legal rights could be impacted by using this information, you are urged to seek legal counsel before taking action.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


It would require a motion. In my county, a grant of exclusive occupancy is made to a party on an affidavit that the other person has voluntarily vacated. Don't know what your local rules state, but if in my county, it doesn't surprise me it was granted. Get an attorney.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics