How can i get paid commissions owed without seeking help from a lawyer?

Asked about 1 month ago - Windermere, FL

Since there is no law for employees who are paid on commission from Department of Labor, I was wondering, how can I get paid from my former employer who owes 10K with using a lawyer. I do have all the paper work and I did send a demand letter from me and she refuses to pay me. Also when I was laid off I was a salary employee and my last paycheck she paid me hourly. I don't understand how she can get away with this and why there is no law that stops this disadvantage practice. Please Help!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Arthur Thomas Schofield


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can try to do this on your own, but likely making a mistake. One, the employer is not going to take you seriously and, two, Florida law allows for the recovery of fees in seeking unpaid wages. This puts added pressure on the employer to pay and pay quickly.

  2. Joseph E Maloney


    Contributor Level 10
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You've come to an odd place to ask this particular question! But, perhaps you could sue in small claims court. No lawyers there. I don't know the limit in FLA, but in many states you can assert a claim for $10K in small claims court. Good luck.

    This response creates no attorney client relationship; consult a local lawyer for help if you proceed.
  3. Dennis Michael Phillips

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . See Fla Stat 448.08 then call a lawyer

    In my practice, I do both litigation work and financial/estate planning. More and more, I'm phasing out of the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,095 answers this week

2,800 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,095 answers this week

2,800 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary