How can I get out of paying for an apartment that I am not living in?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lock Haven, PA

I broke the lease at the end of April, beginning of May. The only reason I did so was because I was not returning to school for medical reasons. My landlord is aware of my reason for breaking the lease. Yet, he insists that I pay him $1,600 even though I gave him at least a 30 day notice. And the lease was did not begin yet when I broke it. He has had more than enough time to find another tenant, yet he keeps coming to me to pay. I have medical expenses, rent, and monthly bills to pay, along with tuition. Is there any way I can get out of this?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jacob Ryan Lauser

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There are ways you can avoid these charges, but you should speak with a reputable attorney in your area for help with your particular circumstances. They would need some pretty specific facts to make a good argument here, but it can be done.

    Good Luck!

    Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,161 answers this week

3,014 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,161 answers this week

3,014 attorneys answering