How can I get out of paying for an apartment that I am not living in?

Lock Haven, PA |

I broke the lease at the end of April, beginning of May. The only reason I did so was because I was not returning to school for medical reasons. My landlord is aware of my reason for breaking the lease. Yet, he insists that I pay him $1,600 even though I gave him at least a 30 day notice. And the lease was did not begin yet when I broke it. He has had more than enough time to find another tenant, yet he keeps coming to me to pay. I have medical expenses, rent, and monthly bills to pay, along with tuition. Is there any way I can get out of this?

There are ways you can avoid these charges, but you should speak with a reputable attorney in your area for help with your particular circumstances. They would need some pretty specific facts to make a good argument here, but it can be done.

Good Luck!

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is meant for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice within the bounds of a professional relationship. It is always best to seek counsel with a competent attorney experienced in your area of issue and fully informed about the facts of your case.

Recommended articles about Real estate