How can I get off parole early?

New York, NY |

I was sentence to 9yrs. in Tennessee for drug trafficking.I did 3yrs in Tennessee, I'm currently on 6yrs.Parole, I've done 41months with no violations and I've been working since my release.I have a inter state compact because I reside in New York.

1. Hello. If you're interested in retaining an attorney to help you answer these questions or pursue an early termination, feel free to contact us at gjllp.com.

But, to answer your question generally, you should look at the NYS Parole Handbook, available online here:

https://www.parole.state.ny.us/intro_handbook.html#S1-10

It explains the following:

Some parolees qualify for a Merit Termination of Sentence granted by the Division of Parole prior to the Maximum Expiration Date of the sentence. This means that the particular sentence is terminated and the parolee will no longer be under the jurisdiction of the Division of Parole.

Generally, non-violent felony offenders who meet the requirements of Section 259-j of the Executive Law may be eligible for a Merit Termination of Sentence. All violent felony offenders, a majority of sex offenders and those convicted of other offenses enumerated in Section 259-j of the Executive Law are not eligible for a merit termination of sentence. Changes in 2004 to Section 259-j, Laws of 2004, Chapter 738, have expanded Merit Termination availability.

Individuals not being supervised in New York State pursuant to the Interstate Compact, and those not eligible for deportation or in the custody of ICE/BICE, are not included. Eligible releasees shall be considered for a possible Merit Termination of Sentence after one year of community supervision. Article 220 Class A-felony offenders may be considered after two years of community supervision.

The Merit Termination of Sentence can be granted only when it has been determined that it is in the best interest of society to do so and that you have made a good faith effort to comply with any restitution order and/or pay any mandatory court surcharge.

Your Parole Officer can answer questions and discuss the particulars of a Merit Termination of Sentence with you anytime throughout your period of parole supervision.

2. You will need to contact a TN. attorney since you are on parole from that state. NY is only monitoring you as a courtesy. If you were to violate parole, you would be returned to TN. If you are on good terms with your parole officer in NY, discuss an early termination with him. He may be able to make a recommendation to TN and start the process for you.

3. You will need to contact a TN. attorney since you are on parole from that state. NY is only monitoring you as a courtesy. If you were to violate parole, you would be returned to TN. If you are on good terms with your parole officer in NY, discuss an early termination with him. He may be able to make a recommendation to TN and start the process for you.