How can I get my stuff back

Elyria, OH |

I gave my friend a ring and PS3 to hold on too. well that was about a year ago and she won't give it back. we have asked nicely but she refuses. we have the certificate of authenticity for the ring and the receipts. is there anyway of getting at least the ring back?

1. Your options will depend upon the documents you have, the reason you gave your friend the ring and PS3, when you asked them to be returned, and why they are not being returned. You can speak with the police, and if that doesn't work, you can file an action in Court for return of the property, or damages if the property is not returned. You can keep trying to work with her to see if she will give it back to you. The success or failure of your options will depend on witnesses, testimony, and the documentation you have.

The problem is that a lot of people give things to friends as gifts. If it is a real gift, you can't revoke it. If, however, you just gave it to her for safekeeping until you needed it again in the future, which you have to prove, she must return it to you.

If the police are unable to help you with this, you should contact an attorney in your area--the attorney will know the right court to file the lawsuit in--choosing the wrong court or waiting too long could cost you whatever rights that lawyer thinks you have to get the property back. A specific answer to your question will depend on some more facts, and you need to talk with an attorney in person to get that answer.

I am only licensed in the State of Ohio, and my providing a response to your question or issue does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am not providing you with legal advice, either. If you would like me to do so, or would like to create an attorney-client relationship, you must contact me for a meeting and sign an attorney-client agreement. You should speak with an attorney who is licensed in your state to whom you have provided all the facts before you take any action or rely on any information given to you from someone else.