Skip to main content

How can i get my status back? i m out of status can an employer sponsor me?

Houston, TX |

hello, i want to know i was on h4 dependent visa a year ago because my dad got laid off the job so therefore now i am out of status but i want to marry a guy who is not a citizen but he works in a good company. He has H1 visa to legally work and stay here in US. I was thinking is there anyway i could get my status back after marrying him, since he got H1 visa can i be in H4 dependent visa again. If not then what i can probably do? i am right now going to school and will be graduating from engineering school in 2 years. I seriously need an effective help and a complete answer about it... that what should i do about it?... i dont want to leave him... but i need to get back into status...what if his employer offers him a green card in a year?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Didn;lt you post this question a week or so agao?
    How old are you now. If you have accrued unlawful presensce, there may be nothing you can do

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  2. You may need a waiver of the unlawful presence. How old are you?

  3. You cannot get H-4 status back in the US. Whether you can get H-4 status abroad, depends on your age. If you are older than 18 and a half, you will trigger a bar from the US upon leaving.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  4. The other lawyers are correct, if you are over 18-1/2 you may have problems. Get a lawyer. -- -- Senior Legal Counsel -- Capriotti International Law -- Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Contact the American Immigration Lawyers Association for a referral to an experienced immigration attorney.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics