How can i get my status back? i m out of status can an employer sponsor me?

hello, i want to know i was on h4 dependent visa a year ago because my dad got laid off the job so therefore now i am out of status but i want to marry a guy who is not a citizen but he works in a good company. He has H1 visa to legally work and stay here in US. I was thinking is there anyway i could get my status back after marrying him, since he got H1 visa can i be in H4 dependent visa again. If not then what i can probably do? i am right now going to school and will be graduating from engineering school in 2 years. I seriously need an effective help and a complete answer about it... that what should i do about it?... i dont want to leave him... but i need to get back into status...what if his employer offers him a green card in a year?

Houston, TX -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

You might have problems. You should talk to an immigration attorney who will probably advise you on the pros/cons of leaving & getting a new visa to come back. -- -- Senior Legal Counsel -- Capriotti International Law -- Legal... more
Neil Ian Fleischer

Neil Ian Fleischer

Immigration Attorney - Cincinnati, OH

HOw old are you? How long have you been out of status? These are key factors

For more immigration info, please see

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Not without leaving the US. However, if you have been out of status for at least 180 days after your 18th birthday, if you leave the US, you will trigger a bar from returning.

You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.