Skip to main content

How can I get my son back from my ex's mother? She now has full custody.

Stevensville, MI |

Me and my ex have a no contact order because we both got in trouble with the law. She signed her rights off, and I never signed anything. Then, I found out she has full custody now and I want my son back!!! I miss him so much, and I'm technically not allowed to visit him because of the no-contact orderl. I've been clean for about a year, and will be off probation in May. What steps do I have to take?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There are a lot more facts that have to be given in order to evaluate and properly answer your question. My suggestion is that you contact an experienced family law attorney in your community/area to discuss this matter. No one knows why both of you have no contact orders, why she "signed her rights off," how she got her rights reinstated, how long ago all of this occurred, etc.

Neil M. Colman

Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Colman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


You must first demonstrate that there is a material change in circumstance since the entry of the last custody order. Thereafter, the court will evaluate the best interest factors. The step you take is to file a motion to modify custody.

Daniel Findling
toll free: 877 968 7347

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer