Skip to main content

How can I get my record expunged in another state without having to appear?

Seattle, WA |

I have charges for an assault in Washington State (Island County). I checked and I can get it expunged. How can I do this without making an appearance? How do I serve the prosecutor? would certified mail be ok?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You need to become extremely familiar with RCW 9.96.060, or retain an attorney experienced in these matters. You will learn that you cannot get a conviction expunged, but you may be able to have it vacated if you have been off probation for at least three years (five years if it was a domestic violence offense), and have had not subsequent criminal history or pending criminal charges.

  2. You should consider retaining in attorney in the area where your charge was to assist you.

  3. A person can have a conviction expunged without making an appearance. If the offense is a qualifying offense and and enough time has passed without the offender obtaining new convictions, you can hire an attorney to prepare a motion and submit the paperwork to the Court. Make sure you hire someone who has experience making motions to expunge, or vacate convictions.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics