How can I get my pet deposit back?

Pinellas Park, FL |

My lease says no pets without landlord consent. My landlord consented upon move in that I could have pet. I paid my pet deposit and then later got a dog. After a week of having the dog my landlord showed up at my apt and started yelling at me telling me the lease said absolutely NO DOGS and that I had until the end of the day to get rid of her. I requested to have at least 7 days but he said no. I then told him that was fine but since I wouldnt be getting any pets in the future I requested my pet deposit back. He told me I needed to read my lease. I have.... no where does it say NO DOGS and no where does it state the deposit was nonrefundable. I texted that to him and he told me he was out of town and hasnt replied to my attempts to contact him since.

Your lease says "no pets" that means "no dogs." Do you have the landlord's consent to a pet in writing? If not, it is your word against his and he might claim the "pet deposit" was part of the regular deposit. To you have a cancelled check to show you paid the pet deposit and is it marked as a "pet deposit"?

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant