How can I get my pet deposit back?

Asked about 2 years ago - Pinellas Park, FL

My lease says no pets without landlord consent. My landlord consented upon move in that I could have pet. I paid my pet deposit and then later got a dog. After a week of having the dog my landlord showed up at my apt and started yelling at me telling me the lease said absolutely NO DOGS and that I had until the end of the day to get rid of her. I requested to have at least 7 days but he said no. I then told him that was fine but since I wouldnt be getting any pets in the future I requested my pet deposit back. He told me I needed to read my lease. I have.... no where does it say NO DOGS and no where does it state the deposit was nonrefundable. I texted that to him and he told me he was out of town and hasnt replied to my attempts to contact him since.

1. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Answered . Your lease says "no pets" that means "no dogs." Do you have the landlord's consent to a pet in writing? If not, it is your word against his and he might claim the "pet deposit" was part of the regular deposit. To you have a cancelled check to show you paid the pet deposit and is it marked as a "pet deposit"?

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.