Skip to main content

How can I get my parents to adopt my son whom they have had for over 11 years?

Santa Clarita, CA |

They have had him since he was a young baby and were supposed to adopt him. They are now living off the state and going after me for child support which I can not afford nor should have to pay. I'm contemplating placing him in foster care if they keep refusing to adopt him. He is almost 12.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You really love your son, don't you? You think that the state will not seek support when he is in foster care?

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.


Nothing more touching than a parent's love for their child. This is a sweet story and I am sure it will have a happy ending.

Unfortunately, you cannot force someone to adopt you child and so long as someone else is caring for your child you are obligated to pay support.

I hope this relationship continues to blossom.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer