How can I get my own doctors deposition in order to represent by self in a personal injury case.

Asked about 2 years ago - Marion, IL

After close to three years the attorney that was representing me withdrew from my personal injury case on the day of the final pre trail, without any good reason except that he said it was because of broken down communication, it was but not on my part. he failed to keep me informed of what was going on with my case. Iam more disappointed and the way he did this, what can I do?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If there is a court order permitting your attorney to withdraw, you have been given at least 21 days to retain new counsel. That is the first thing you should do. The reason for withdrawing is not usually set forth in great detail in a Motion to Withdraw because of confidentiality as well as courtesy. The breakdown of the attorney-client relationship is a sufficient reason for the court to consider the motion which can still be allowed or denied. (In your case it was apparently granted.)

    Get your file back from your former attorney unless you have a complete copy and find a new lawyer ASAP. Discuss any additional steps you need to take with new counsel. Best wishes to you.

  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to retain another attorney to handle your Trial. Get a copy of your file from your old attorney and take it to the new one. He/she will order all depositions. Good Luck.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You really don't want to do anything except find a new attorney ASAP.

    Do not try to handle this yourself--it's a recipe for disaster!

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client... more
  4. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with both attorneys, you need to get your file back from the first attorney ASAP so that you can find new counsel. Do not try to go it alone because you will suffer in the end.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more
  5. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Retain a new lawyer asap, it's a bad idea to try to play lawyer.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Related Topics

Legal malpractice and negligence

Legal malpractice is when an attorney harms a client through unreasonable errors, and harm would not have occurred "but for" the errors.

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,757 answers this week

3,624 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,757 answers this week

3,624 attorneys answering