Skip to main content

How can I get my name off of my estranged husbands car title if he has the title and I can't get in touch with him?

Easton, MD |

My name is listed on my estranged husbands car title along with his name. He now owes the MVA a steep fine due to a lapse in insurance. The MVA will not let me renew my car registration until the fine on his vehicle is paid since my name is listed on his title. We are separated and I do not have anyway of contacting him to get him to sign the title over into just his name. Is there anything else I can do so that I do not have to pay his fine in order to renew my car registration?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unfortunately, as long as you are married to your husband, meaning, that you have not obtained a judgment of Absolute Divorce, you are liable for his debts and he is liable for your debts. You state that you are separated but you do not state if you have obtained a Limited Divorce (a form of legal separation) or if you are just simply separated. Even if you did obtain a judgment for Limited Divorce that would still not have any effect upon division of property, etc. So as long as you are married to your husband, you can expect these kinds of problems to continue. And sadly, your liability for your husband's debts can cause you even more serious problems than what you are currently experiencing. I see you are in Easton, of Talbot County. Find an attorney in your county and have a consultation about your options. If you do nothing, then things will probably just get worse. So action on your part is required.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, does NOT establish Attorney/Client Relationship because you have not retained me and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is merely provided to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. A Consultation, Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required if you would like to obtain my representation. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer