How can I get my license, despite a DMV requirement for an IID?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Monica, CA

Convicted of 1st DUI in 12/2010 BAC .15. Was driving a friend's car as I don't own my own. Completed all court requirements/fees & was informed by the DMV that only SR22 was needed to get DL back.
With no car, I decided to put it off. Recently it's become necessary for me to have personal transportation so I bought a moped, purchased insurance and paid reinstatement fee at DMV. I was informed I had to install an IID ( July 2010 law authorizes the DMV to require IID at their discretion). They will not install it on a scooter & I can't buy a car. The only option is an exemption which takes over 5 months, and for which I was already denied because a car I sold to a junk yard 6 yrs ago is still in my name. Don't know the VIN or junk yard name to release liability either. This is a nightmare.

1. Matthew Murillo

Pro

5

Answered . Sounds like your out of luck. You can try to find someone to install on the moped. But beyond that, the exemption is your only shot. Since you have already been denied, it unfortunately just sounds like you are out of luck.

2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

5

Answered . I believe you have to have a car or motorcycle.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

3. John Naumovski

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the above attorneys' advice