Skip to main content

How can i get my kids from their aunt? no custody given only granted for schools registration.

Romeoville, IL |

my wife passed 8yrs ago. after losin my job due to school issues i had to go stay with my sister in law with my 4 kids. i granted her school rights to b able to register and deal with issues there. their are no `legal court custody or guardianship to them. she receives their ssi and i want them back but the cops said they couldn't remove them because they are in their school district.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. There are missings facts here. School districts would not let her register them each year without a custody and/or guardianship order. Also she could not get their social security checks. You will need to go in person and consult with a local family law attorney.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

  2. Consult with a local attorney and give him or her all the facts.

  3. They're your kids. Have an attorney contact the police. There is no need for a court order based on the facts you stated.

  4. Forget the police. If there is no court order granting the aunt guardianship. go get your children. Your issues has little if anything to do with the school district in which they are enrolled. You really need to seek legal advice ASAP.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics