How can i get my gun rights back if i was convicted of midemeanor charges in California?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Newport Beach, CA

I was tried in October 2004 and since then I have expunged my record but i still dont have my rights back I know. Here is what i was tried for: Battery on peace officer/emergency personnel, etc,Resisting public or peace officer,Battery against cohabitant

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The federal law that permanently prohibits firearms after conviction of domestic or family violence carries terribly stiff penalties if you are convicted or enter a guilty plea. In addition to prohibitions by the state of California, the Lautenberg Amendment carries a fine of up to $250,000 and a potential 10 year sentence in federal prison.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  2. Seth A. Blum

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you were convicted of Domestic Violence, current federal law will never allow you to legally own a firearm. I would not count on this ever changing. There is no political upside to giving guns back to people convicted of Domestic Violence.

  3. Jacob Ryan Lauser

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You're probably looking at a 10 year ban for the first few convictions you listed, but you should know that many states, including California will impose a lifetime ban for misdemeanor convictions involving domestic violence. Additionally, so does the Federal Government.

    Read this website: and contact an attorney in your area for more information.

    Good Luck!

    Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,616 answers this week

3,076 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,616 answers this week

3,076 attorneys answering