How can i get my gun rights back if i was convicted of midemeanor charges in California?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Newport Beach, CA

I was tried in October 2004 and since then I have expunged my record but i still dont have my rights back I know. Here is what i was tried for: Battery on peace officer/emergency personnel, etc,Resisting public or peace officer,Battery against cohabitant

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . The federal law that permanently prohibits firearms after conviction of domestic or family violence carries terribly stiff penalties if you are convicted or enter a guilty plea. In addition to prohibitions by the state of California, the Lautenberg Amendment carries a fine of up to $250,000 and a potential 10 year sentence in federal prison.

2. Seth A. Blum

1

Answered . If you were convicted of Domestic Violence, current federal law will never allow you to legally own a firearm. I would not count on this ever changing. There is no political upside to giving guns back to people convicted of Domestic Violence.

3. Jacob Ryan Lauser

Answered . You're probably looking at a 10 year ban for the first few convictions you listed, but you should know that many states, including California will impose a lifetime ban for misdemeanor convictions involving domestic violence. Additionally, so does the Federal Government.

Read this website: http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/topic-summa... and contact an attorney in your area for more information.

Good Luck!