How can I get my foid reinstated after being in mental hospital

Dekalb, IL |
Filed under: Divorce Civil rights

I voluntary admitted myself to a hospital after my depression was at an all time high and I placed a gun to my head. Because of state laws my foid card was revoked. Some time has passed and I saw in the paper work the ability to contest the revocation. There are no charges against me and I am a national guardsmen.

I believe you can, but you must have not been a patient in an mental facility within the past five years. See 430 ILCS 65/8(e). If the five years has passed, you can file a new FOID application.

This answer is not a substitute for professional legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is it a solicitation to offer legal advice. If you ignore this warning and convey confidential information in a private message or comment, there is no duty to keep that information confidential or forego representation adverse to your interests. Seek the advice of a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction before taking any action that may affect your rights. If you believe you have a claim against someone, consult an attorney immediately, otherwise there is a risk that the time allotted to bring your claim may expire.