Skip to main content

How can I get my foid reinstated after being in mental hospital

Dekalb, IL |
Filed under: Divorce Civil rights

I voluntary admitted myself to a hospital after my depression was at an all time high and I placed a gun to my head. Because of state laws my foid card was revoked. Some time has passed and I saw in the paper work the ability to contest the revocation. There are no charges against me and I am a national guardsmen.

Attorney Answers 1


I believe you can, but you must have not been a patient in an mental facility within the past five years. See 430 ILCS 65/8(e). If the five years has passed, you can file a new FOID application.

This answer is not a substitute for professional legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is it a solicitation to offer legal advice. If you ignore this warning and convey confidential information in a private message or comment, there is no duty to keep that information confidential or forego representation adverse to your interests. Seek the advice of a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction before taking any action that may affect your rights. If you believe you have a claim against someone, consult an attorney immediately, otherwise there is a risk that the time allotted to bring your claim may expire.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics