How can I get my ex girl to let me take my son to meet my side of the family? What are my rights & I do pay child support.

Asked over 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

i have a baby with an ex girl friend, i pay child support and want to take my son to meet my side of the family but she wont me take my son to meet my grandmother who will turn 90 in Aug & has never met my son. Infact no one on my side of the family has met my son.

1. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

4

Answered . You need to get to an attorney and file a paternity petition in order to establish your rights and responsibilities if you have not already done so. You and the mother will need to agree upon many things, one of them being time-sharing. The quickest way to lose for her is to continue not allowing you to take your son to meet his great grandmother.

2. Warren Timothy Channell

4

Answered . Do you have a parenting plan with time sharing provisions? If so, she may be in contempt if she does not allow you to. If not, you must file a paternity action to establish your parental rights and responsibilities and time sharing with your child. I suggest you contact a family law attorney in your area immediately to begin this process.

3. Elmer Sanchez

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You must remember that paying child support does give you any additional rights. Time sharing (visitation) and child support are separate and distinct, even though they are related.

4. Felipe Bastos Fulgencio

1

Answered . Your best option here is to find a local Tampa family law attorney willing to take your case and
    file a paternity action, which will establish all of your parental rights as well as time-sharing.

The sooner you do this, the better, as they likely will take some time.

Our office would gladly do this for you if you are interested.

Felipe B. Fulgencio, Esq.
    Fulgencio Law | Hyde Park, Tampa, FL
    Voice: (813) 760-0269
    Fax: (813) 253-0269
    felipe@fulgenciolaw.com

5. John Arthur Smitten

1

Answered . If you are not married to the mother then you have to file a lawsuit to enforce your parental rights to the child.

6. Robert M Chambers

1

Answered . In addition to the other answers you might want to consider registering with the Florida Putative Father Registry. You can down load the form or complete it online. Once registered you would be notified of any attempt by mother to terminate your rights such as she and a new husband trying to adopt the child. Still though paternity action that others suggested is your preferred remedy.

7. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You need to file a paternity action to establish all of your parental rights and time-sharing.