How can I get my dog back from animal control?

Sacramento, CA |

My dog got out of the house accidentally and bit the neighbor's dog. The neighbor called Animal control and they took her same day. She is half lab and half pit. How do I get her back??

I was outside talking to a neighbor and my dog got out of the house without me knowing and bit a dog walking in the side walk. I immediately contained my dog and brought her back to the house. It is the first time my dog bit someone. The neighbor is threatening to sue. What are the chances of my dog getting euthanized? Can I make a deal with the neighbor that if I pay vet bills, then we can agree with the release of my dog and not get sued? I want to get my dog back asap.

1. Contact Animal Control and ask them what you need to do?

2. You can negotiate anything you want with your neighbor, provided that the neighbor has not retained an attorney. In that case, the attorney will be your contact point. I would suggest calling animal control and asking what you have to do to get the dog back.

3. The best way to find out how you can get your dog back is to contact animal control right away to find out what procedures you need to undertake to try and get your dog back. There may be many requirements such as that the dog be spayed or neutered and that the dog be up to date on all its vaccinations. Animal control may also want to make sure your dog is not a danger to the community. It is also important to contact them right away so that they know that you want your dog back. Best of luck.

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact Ligia Parmenter. Ligia Parmenter's posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by Ligia Parmenter as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with Ligia Parmenter and/or the Parmenter Law Offices. Ligia Parmenter and her law office does not provide consultations to anyone without first entering into an agreement that is executed both by the potential client and Ligia Parmenter or an attorney from her office. Please do not call or email Ligia Parmenter with any specific questions. Ligia Parmenter only gives legal advice, and/or makes recommendations, and/or answers specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with the client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND (as stated above) Ligia Parmenter gives legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by the client and by Ligia Parmenter or a member of her office, for which payment has been made or other specific arrangments made. From time to time Ligia Parmenter posts articles, responses and other information on this website to inform about new developments of interest to the general public. Neither transmission nor receipt of this information creates an attorney-client relationship with Ligia Parmenter or the Parmenter Law Offices. Persons or entities contacting this site should not assume that they have retained Ligia Parmenter or the Parmenter Law Offices to represent them or render services until such time, if ever, as Ligia Parmenter and the person or entity in question execute a written retainer agreement. All information provided on this website is general in nature, may not be current in terms of recent developments in the law, and does not constitute legal advice regarding any specific or general matter or issue. Persons or entities obtaining information from this website should not act on it without first obtaining advice from legal or other professional counsel regarding the law applicable to a particular set of facts. In no event will Ligia Parmenter or the Parmenter Law Offices be liable for any direct or indirect damages resulting from a person's or entity's use of information from this website.