Skip to main content

How can i get my divorce hearing postponed?

Atlanta, GA |

I got a call from the Attorney that is no longer representing me today that i have court in 2 days! I need to get it postponed because i have have not hired another attorney yet. My situation is very complicated! My ex almost killed me 5 years ago and was convicted of aggervated assault, aggervated battery, and false imprisonment. He also is a regestered sex offender in Ga because he was covicted of satitory rape, child molestation, and aggervated assault 10 years ago. We have 2 childeren. I never thought any court would ever think to give him custody of my childern but they gave him temporary custody! The only reason the judge would give is because i don't have a job! i am blind in my left eye and suffer from very painful trigeminal neuralgia from my ex. I feel neither me or kids saf

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need to seek the help of family and friends so that you can hire another attorney immediately. Judging by your story, you cannot depend upon the Judge to be sympathetic and grant a continuance. He may do that for an attorney who is just getting in the case.

    I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.

  2. There is no way of being able to guarantee a continuance. You're going to have to hire an attorney. Tomorrow!

    Good luck.

    I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

    ~ Kem Eyo

    The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

  3. You need to retain another attorney right away. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to give our office a call at 404-636-6616.

  4. There is no assurance that you will get a continuance. For your lawyer to have left the case, he/she had to withdraw and that process takes a couple weeks given the mandatory notice to you, so a judge may feel you have had time to get counsel. And, since things have already gone badly, don't assume you will get a fair shake pro se.

    This is a time you need family and friends. Enlist their help to retain someone before the hearing date. Good luck.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics