How can i get my divorce hearing postponed?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I got a call from the Attorney that is no longer representing me today that i have court in 2 days! I need to get it postponed because i have have not hired another attorney yet. My situation is very complicated! My ex almost killed me 5 years ago and was convicted of aggervated assault, aggervated battery, and false imprisonment. He also is a regestered sex offender in Ga because he was covicted of satitory rape, child molestation, and aggervated assault 10 years ago. We have 2 childeren. I never thought any court would ever think to give him custody of my childern but they gave him temporary custody! The only reason the judge would give is because i don't have a job! i am blind in my left eye and suffer from very painful trigeminal neuralgia from my ex. I feel neither me or kids saf

1. Anthony M. Zezima

Pro

4

Answered . You need to seek the help of family and friends so that you can hire another attorney immediately. Judging by your story, you cannot depend upon the Judge to be sympathetic and grant a continuance. He may do that for an attorney who is just getting in the case.

2. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

3

Answered . You need to retain another attorney right away. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to give our office a call at 404-636-6616.

3. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

2

Answered . There is no way of being able to guarantee a continuance. You're going to have to hire an attorney. Tomorrow!

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

4. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

Answered . There is no assurance that you will get a continuance. For your lawyer to have left the case, he/she had to withdraw and that process takes a couple weeks given the mandatory notice to you, so a judge may feel you have had time to get counsel. And, since things have already gone badly, don't assume you will get a fair shake pro se.

This is a time you need family and friends. Enlist their help to retain someone before the hearing date. Good luck.