How can I get my daughters father to sign her birth certificate & set some custody/visitation mandatory time IN MICHIGAN?

Roseville, MI |

He never sees her, never spends time with her, have never bought her anything. However, paternity has been established. We have a child support hearing tomorrow. I want to request his name to be added to her birth certificate. I also want him to take on his responsibility as a father and set some mandatory boundaries that he has to have his daughter @ lease 2/3 days out the week. I am a full time mom. I work full time. I attend school full time. I pay daycare $260 A WEEK from 8-5pm then I pay an addition babysitter 3 days out the week to keep her while I attend school @ night. He helps with none of it. Also for my child support hearing, on paper it may show he is broke, b/c he doesn't have a LEGAL job. I'm scared that they are going to order him to pay maybe 20/40 dollars.

You seem like you need help, financially and with child rearing. Is the prosecuting attorney participating in this case? You said paternity has been established, but you didn't say how. Do you have a court order or did he file an affidavit of parentage? You cannot force a father to participate in a child's life. Unfortunately, it is surprising how many parents will step up to the plate to get overnights to reduce their child support. Several factors are considered when determining child support. One of the most important factors is the number of overnights each parent has with a child. Child care is also taken into consideration so you must bring verification of what you are paying to court. If he doesn't have a legal job, the court can impute income. I would suggest speaking to counsel. Depending on the type of hearing you have tomorrow, the court may try to resolve the child support issue tomorrow. Be mindful of what you consent to because you have a right to prove he makes more than he tells the court. I would also suggest that you speak to a professional - attorney or therapist - on how to manage the difficulties of being a single parent. There is help out there. Best wishes.

2. Hearing or meeting with an investigator? You need an attorney to present and prove your case.
    As for forcing him to take parenting time, it can be ordered but if he does not take it the court simply increases the support and changes the order. Generally it will not, because it cannot, force paternal involvement.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for you choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

Child custody topics