How can I get my daughter out of a misdemeanor larceny charge?

Asked 11 months ago - Laurinburg, NC

My daughter was arrested for stealing. Her friends gave her a purse that had stolen items inside it and she walked out. She's 16 and has never been in trouble and claims she was set up by her friends. They have said they do not have her on camera putting items in the purse but she did walk out with it. How can I fight this?

1. Benjamin Harris Van Steinburgh

Pro

6

Best Answer

Answered . You should consult with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Misdemeanor larceny requires intent to permanently deprive, which is sounds like your daughter did not have. An attorney will be able to make the proper argument for you to get a favorable outcome.

2. Sarah Jessica Farber

6

Answered . Hire a local criminal defense attorney to represent your daughter, that is the number one way you can help. The next thing to do is make sure she is not posting anything about this incident on social media. What she says online can and will be used against her. Best of luck to you both.

3. Jonathan Mark Herring

2

Answered . You could always proceed to trial. the state would have to prove she knew (or should have known) stolen property was in the purse. However, if your main goal is to ensure she keeps a clean record, there very well could be a deferred prosecution program available where your daughter would essentially be on probation for a brief period and if she doesn't get into any more trouble then the charge could be dismissed, which in NC, would open the door for an expunction down the road.

4. David T. Courie

Pro

1

Answered . Call my Hoke County office at 9108753379. We can help get you an appointment with a qualified attorney in that neighboring county.

5. Peter Christian Komar

1

Answered . Hire an experienced attorney

6. Kevin H. Pate

Answered . Hire counsel.
    Follow advice of counsel, including on when to step back and be the supportive parent.
    Love your child and be there for her whatever the result.