How can i get my children back? I live in va there in sc.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Bristol, VA

a few years ago i had to give temporary custody to my aunt ordered by social service. and they closed my case without my knowledge.my daughters making reports to my mom that shes bein abused along with my son. how can i get my kids back? i have no numbers for them just last known address.and my aunt an uncle are on drugs.please i need help i want them back...sincerely malissa heflin

1. Mary G. Commander

3

Answered . You would file a petition for custody in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court where the children are.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended for general information purposes only.
  2. Jennifer E Mandell

1

Answered . Was there a court order granting temporary custody to your aunt or was it a temporary placement agreement with social services? If temporary custody was granted to the aunt by a court order issued in Virginia, then you may be able to file a petition to modify that order in the same court (in Virginia). Since the children are no longer in VA, the court that issued the order will need to decide whether to continue exercising jurisdiction over the case or whether to transfer the case to SC. If no custody order was ever entered by a court, then you will need to file a petition for custody in SC because SC is now the children's home state.

I would strongly recommend that you conult with a family law attorney to review your papers from the prior action and to discuss the specifics of your case in greater detail so that you can get a comprehensive answer to your questions and understand what your various options may be.

3. David Alexander Browde

Pro

1

Answered . You should discuss your options with a local family lawyer.